Monday, November 5, 2018

Thankful for lots of things

I missed a bunch of days of thankfulness,
but not because I wasn't thankful.

I wrote once before that I was thankful for roads,
and I am,
even though I wish I didn't need to be.
Recently, I was feeling
decidedly unthankful
for Wisconsin,
which lies between
my current home and my natal home.

The last few times we have driven through Wisconsin,
blizzards have raged,

and this last time, once again,
Wisconsin sleet and snow assailed us.

But,
I am very thankful for a safe drive.

I'm thankful for my mother,
who turned 86 on Saturday.

My phone camera foreshortens and distorts in the oddest ways.
My mother is a tiny person,
and these golden roses were very large,
but the camera makes the proportions look ridiculous.

Still,
I cannot quite image how I came into the world
through such a tiny person.
A mother is a precious and mysterious thing,
the one who cradled me in her body before I was born.

I am thankful for a mother who
gave me life,
raised me to know Jesus,
and is still here to be visited!



2 comments:

Pauline said...

YOUR MOTHER is one of the very sweetest I have ever known ... your tribute is so appropriate. I would love to see your parents again! HEAVEN (with the Lord) some day ...

Shannon said...

Happy birthday, Grandma!!

I cannot get over that picture. Those roses look comically huge. I can't even figure out where they are. Hahaha!