Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Thankful for Duffy


I'm just going to go ahead and burn the Duffy card at the outset, because I need to explain why I may be missing some thankful posts this year.

This little dog-baby.

When you are used to old, settled dogs, it is quite a flurry of newness to bring a young pup into the household.  And when you no longer have any children at home to play with the young pup, well.  It all depends on you, yourself . . . and you may be past your prime, a tad tired.

But a cute puppy is one of God's most aesthetically amazing creations, in my opinion.  It is a great blessing to have a puppy, to play with him, feed him, and laugh at his wild tricks.  An uninhibited, carefree, energetic puppy brings a person right up out of the doldrums.

Today Duffy and I were taking a walk, and we noticed a neighbor who used to have a golden retriever, playing in his yard with a small black puppy.  His old dog must have died about the same time ours did.  He and I both got a bit misty-eyed, swapping stories.  Duffy, at four months, is about the same size as this other puppy, who is nine weeks right now.  She is a golden-doodle, and she is very playful, which is exactly what Duffy has been hoping for.  They romped and rolled and wrestled with no signs of slowing, until the school bus dropped off a gaggle of kids and I was able to tear Duffy away amidst the distraction.

I am thankful for Duffy, but right now he is creeping exploratorily around my study, making chewing noises near electrical cords, and I need to go. I've already had to pause once, to rescue some delicate hand-washables that he stole off the drying rack, and ease them from his piranha-like teeth.

So, if I'm scarcer here than I have been in Novembers past, please realize that it is only on account of one of the things for which I am thankful.

Oooops... there goes the wastebasket.  No lie.

And the entire drying rack just crashed.  Signing out.



No comments: