Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thankful for my bed.



Thankfulness can be for big things and for little things, for special things and for mundane things.

I am thankful for my bed.

It's not too soft, and not too hard.
A place to rest, dream, heal, pray.

Once, some people I know went to Guatamala
where they built a small house
for a homeless family.
At the end of construction,
they put a set of bunk beds into the house
for the children
who had always, before, slept on the ground.
The children were so happy!
Naked blue and white striped mattresses, and you would have thought they'd been handed all the riches in the world; their joy was that exuberant.

My bed is covered with linens and pillows.

I have smooth cotton sheets,
a blue cotton blanket for warm weather,
and a tan woolen blanket for cold weather.

My bed holds me when I am sick, and when I am tired,
and even sometimes on a lovely Saturday morning when I have the joy of "lying in."

Above my bed, we replaced the wedding photo (it was getting sun faded)
with theses words: "The Lord bless you, keep you, and give you peace."

That's loosely from Numbers 6.

The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make His face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn His face toward you
and give you peace.
(Numbers 6:24-26, NIV)

I am thankful for my bed.

No comments: