Monday, November 4, 2019

Thankful for a functional corner



The unpacking, it is going slow.

I was studying Acts 12 this past week, and wondering about the story of Herod's death from being eaten by worms.  I didn't understand how it followed:

(1) Herod persecuted Christians, but finally left Judea (after killing the guards who were on duty when Peter escaped) and went to Caesarea where he had a conflict with the people of Tyre and Sidon.

(2) The people of Tyre and Sidon sought audience with him because they depended on him for their food supply.

(3) Herod dressed in royal robes and spoke an oracle to the people.

(4) The people said Herod spoke with the voice of a god and not a man, which he accepted as praise and worship.

(5) Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down for not giving praise to God.  He was eaten by worms and died.

I found my commentaries, and Shawn helped me get them onto a bookshelf.  So I was able to read about this, but I still don't understand it very well.  I think it is a contrast between the Kingdom of Herod, which came to a gory ending after Herod inflicted a lot of prideful abuse, and the Kingdom of God, which increased and spread by the miraculous power of the Holy Spirit at work in the saints.

I am thankful to have these resources back.  It is nice.  And good.




No comments: