Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Gratitude List

The process of settling a home challenges my gratitude levels.  There always seems to be one more thing to buy: a handheld shower head, a lamp, a rug, a throw blanket.

At the same time, I do feel thankful every time a new item arrives.  Still, I am discontent with myself for constantly thinking about what additional items would add the comforts and conveniences I keep imagining.  This is why it was so hard for me to leave our old house, so hard to tear it all apart, when everything had been set up just as I liked it to be.

We are, of course, just fine.  We have more than we need.  We can eat, sleep, shower, work, wash clothes, read, watch TV and maintain the yard.

Some issues lurk in our lives, tempting us to walk away from contentment.

A baby needs a heart transplant.  This is a hard road, so hard.  Yet, the baby is still alive.  He can sit, manipulate toys, clap his tiny hands and look into his mama's eyes.  He has experienced life and love, and his family has been blessed to know him, to hold him, to read to him and pray over him.  Just the fact of his beautiful existence is a reason for gratitude.  God gave life to a wondrous creation.  The world is enriched for having held him so far.  I am thankful.

Our former home has not sold.  This makes me very sad.  It would be so much easier to enjoy being where I am, if only I knew that someone were living in and loving our previous home and appreciating my beloved plants in the gardens.  If only someone were looking out the windows of my sunporch and praying for the neighborhood.  If only someone were making Thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen I enjoyed so much.  But I am thankful that so far we have been able to weather the financial side of the issue.  I am thankful that we are fine.  We are okay.  I am thankful.

I am thankful for our precious church back in Illinois, and amazing people from the church who helped us move.  It was so much better to move without strangers packing and loading our things as was the case in our 2013 move.  It was amazing to have a good friend drive the moving van, and move our piano, and unload us, and spend time in our home with us when we first arrived.  These incredible blessings spread a blanket of comfort all over our finances, our strength, our stress levels and our sense of being loved rather than lonely.  I am thankful.

I am thankful for the light, airy feel our home emanates since we painted it.

I am thankful for new furniture, new rugs and new bedding.

I am thankful to have found some missing treasures during the packing process, most notably a CD of pictures we had lost, and a couple of manuscripts I had written and misplaced.




(--a selection of pictures from nine years ago
that had been lost, but now are found--

I am thankful to have completed a few projects since we moved!

I am thankful for friendly neighbors (and I hope they won't give up being friendly when I hermitize in the house with lupus headaches).

I am thankful that God is with me wherever I go, and He is here as much as He is anywhere and everywhere.

I am thankful for how clearly God has spoken to me every time I have attended a church service or a Bible study here.  I am amazed at how He knows exactly where I am and what I need to hear, and He delivers His message.  He has been delivering messages all over, through so many varied mouthpieces.  How could I not be blown away with gratitude for His love and faithfulness?

I am thankful that it doesn't matter where I am when I pray.  I can pray for anyone, anywhere, and the omnipresent Spirit of God is my link to whomever I pray for, instantly bridging any geographical gap.

I am thankful that God is for us, on our side, fighting for us, encouraging us, working on our behalf, always loving and compassionate.  He does not wait for us to make a mistake so He can crush us.  If we make a mistake, He is there to redeem it, and teach us through it, and use it for good in our lives.

Yes, I am thankful.



Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,

Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!




Very thankful.









No comments: