Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Thankful for trips to see my daughters, and Northeastern apples



Today is November 1.  Thus begins my month of thankfulness.

Last month, I had the overwhelming joy of visiting both of my daughters in the Northeast.

At the beginning of October, we visited Laura in Ohio, and we went apple picking for her birthday!  She wanted to, because she said it reminded her of her birthdays during the Central New York years, when we often visited an apple orchard to commemorate the day.  She asked me to make her an apple crisp with the bounty, which was another joy, on so many levels.

At the end of October, we visited Shannon in Boston, where we walked over ten miles sightseeing, feasted on seafood, and bought the Empire apples pictured above.

Empire apples are not so easy to find, here in central Illinois.  They are tangy, juicy and crisp, excellent for eating and baking, both.

October, for me, will always be a pink month, because for me, October is the month when both my baby girls were born.  On Halloween this year, I donned a pink and white outfit replete with a pinkish-white necklace (faux pearls embellished with tiny, glittering faux diamonds) and my sparkly pink shoes.  I wore my outfit shamelessly amongst all the black and orange of the day, and my heart was light.

Red apple skin, white apple flesh, pink baby blankets.  My kind of October.

I am thankful that I got to see both of my daughters on their birthdays this year.  It was a luxury I do not take for granted.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Did you walk the freedom trail? I loved walking that when we visited Boston in 2009. I am a descendent of William Brewster...and of Timothy Mather (who was the brother of Increase Mather and Uncle to Cotton Mather).

Ruthie said...

We walked part of the freedom trail. What an interesting family heritage you have! There is so much history in Boston!