Sunday, November 12, 2017

Thankful for the gospel



This is the gospel:

Although we live in a broken, messed up, devastating and sometimes terrifying world,

there is hope for salvation!

We could never work hard enough or behave well enough to earn this salvation,

for, like the world, we ourselves are broken,

defaced by the original sin of our ancient ancestors.

We, by default, contribute to the trouble around us,

striving for what we think are our rights

and always, in the process,

trampling someone else.

But even though we are cursed, broken and fatally selfish,

there is hope.

God, our Creator,

the One who created both us

and this poor, beautiful world that we've desecrated,

loves us.  He loves us.

So He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to live with us and die for us,

to pay the price, the debt we owed for our sin.

The debt we could never have paid, He paid for us.

With His blood.

He bore the wrath of God in our place.

Then He rose from the dead, to prove

that grace and life have ultimate power over sin and death.

If we will turn from sin to grace,

if we will run to Jesus for healing and forgiveness,

He will never turn us away.

No.  Instead, He will run back to meet us

with open arms.

He will clothe us in His righteousness and call us His own.

He will give us new lives, new identities,

a new source of security and a new power for living: His own Spirit inside us.

He will abide in us now, giving us a preview of the glory to come,

changing our hearts, teaching us His ways,

and always keeping His promises to help, to encourage, to remain with us . . .

until finally the time comes for all of creation to be redeemed and restored.

Then we will live in perfect glory with Him and never taste death again.

Forever.  Hallelujah.  Amen.


I have known the gospel for as long as I can remember; I was practically born in church.  A few years ago (maybe 8?) I was struck by an idea that a number of great teachers were presenting:  "You need to love the gospel," they said.

Love the gospel?  What does that even mean?  Of course I am glad that there is salvation for all who believe.  But love the gospel?

"Have a deep affection in your heart for the gospel," they said.  They probably told me that if I didn't have it, I needed to pray for this affection to grow in my heart.  This is what I did.  Half-heartedly.  Without even knowing for what I was asking.

And yet, He was faithful.

All these long years later, I have come to love the gospel in ways I never imagined, this epic rescue mission that God is carrying out.  It's been quite a journey, at times far beyond what I thought I could bear, and it isn't over.  However, today I stand where I am and praise God for bringing me this far, trusting Him to carry on to completion the work He has begun.

I am thankful for the gospel, and I am thankful that Jesus is teaching me to love the gospel.



No comments: