Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Thankful for the constant, abiding presence of the Holy Spirit

Today, at a critical point in time, I asked the Lord to fill me, top me off, fill to the measure and overflow me with the Holy Spirit.

You need to ask for that regularly.  Not because He leaves in-between times, but just because we live in a temporal world and we need regular refilling.  Maybe it's just the consciousness and the reminder that we need.  Whatever it is, it is necessary.  I remembered to ask.

Not long after, I happened into a spiritual battle.

There is a spiritual war going on, but the skirmishes are relatively rare.  I don't have to engage in active combat very often, other than prayer war.  The prayer war is daily, and sometimes multiple times per day.  However, today there was some active combat, a confrontation.

It wasn't warlike in the human arena.  Not really.  The Spirit of God was powerful and there was peace.  Kindness.  Miraculous lack of anger in the face of a very challenging conversation.  In the physical world, a passerby may well never have known that there was a battle raging.

In the spiritual world, blows were flying.  I'm not sure what all happened, but I am exhausted now.

Exhausted.

I don't know what happened.  It seems pretty clear that I didn't lose, but I'm not sure I've gained any territory yet, either.

The fact is certain, though, that God was there, and God was powerful in me and around me.

I am thankful to my Lord and King, the One who made me, the One who died for me, the One who rose victorious from the dead, the One who never slumbers or sleeps, the One who is my help.

The One who lives in me and is my help.

Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.  (Psalm 31:24)

Surely God is my help; the Lord is the One who sustains me.  (Psalm 54:4)

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  (1 John 4:4)

I am thankful.


No comments: