Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thankful for 11/11

I've trained myself to pray when I see that it is 11:11.

The story of how this came about is here.

It is not superstition.  I don't believe that anything magical or mystical happens at 11:11.  I just use that time--with four vertical lines pointing upward--to direct my thoughts to the Father.  I also pray at 1:11, for the same reason.  Of course, this only occurs if I happen to look at a clock at that particular time.

Sometimes I think the Lord leads me to look at the clock when all the ones are pointing up at Him because He wants to spur me to pray for something.  I do not see this as mysticism or superstition, either--just faith that God is sovereign over all the details.

Today was 11/11, so perhaps I should have set it aside as a day of prayer.  I didn't; I had other commitments.  But that's okay, because besides the fact that elevens point me to God, today was Veterans Day, and Veterans Day is worthy of celebration in its own right.

I am thankful that I live in a free country.

I am thankful that there are people who serve every day in the military, working to keep our country safe in many ways.

I am thankful to those who served in the past and procured freedom for us.

I am thankful for the end of World War I on 11/11/1918 at 11 a.m.  Although many terrible wars have followed that one, it gives a precedent for the hope of peace, and all in elevens.

Perfect peace will come when all eyes look up to God, when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

How's that for a reason to be thankful for 11/11 (and 11:11)?

No comments: