Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Attributes of God--Q

I have been having some trouble with this one, and would certainly appreciate help and input from others.

Two things that I came up with:

God is quiet, and God is quick. The problem is, God is not always quiet. Sometimes He thunders with a mighty voice (Psalm 68:33). And God is not always quick; I think we all know that! 1 Peter 3:7-9 explains that although God may seem slow, He is really just being patient with us, giving sinners more time to repent. That doesn't sound very quick to me.

So these are not really attributes of God. Quickness and quietness are just ways that God is sometimes, not all the time.

My favorite story about the quietness of God is in 1 Kings 19, where Elijah went out on the mountain to meet God, and God was not in the great and mighty wind, nor in the earthquake, nor in the fire, but after all that ruckus, God came and spoke to Elijah in a soft whisper, in a still, small voice.

also... Psalm 23:2
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.

Concerning God's quickness... mostly it appears that we ask God to be quick.

Psalm 22:19
But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me.

Psalm 69:17
Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.

Psalm 70:5
But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; LORD, do not delay.

So I don't think that really counts. God can do anything, and in His mercy He often does respond to us quickly. But I don't think this could really be considered one of His attributes.

What do you think?

Next up, R.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I wonder what you are going to do with the letter "x" or the letter "z."

Ruth said...

Y is the really one. Why don't you put on your thinking cap and come up with something for me?

Ruth said...

"really one" should be "really hard one"