Sunday, March 1, 2009

We made it to the Sabbath

Saturday morning, Lulu was not doing so well. She was so dizzy she practically crawled to the bathroom where she sat on the floor and, in the end, did not throw up.

Her neck was also very stiff. All things taken together--dizziness, headache, nausea, and stiff neck--led the doctor to direct us to take her to the ER.

We talked to the doctor because we finally took Shanny in for her flu, which, as I suspected, had turned into pneumonia. The doctor called it walking pneumonia, which I thought was ironic, since she spent the past 3-4 days in bed. But, whatever. They gave her a prescription for antibiotics, and the medicine and the hope that accompanied it have done wonders to improve her condition.

Lulu, however, had to spend the day in the ER. Most of it was waiting. Shawn took her and left me home to (1) not be a basket case and upset her, and (2) take care of Shanny and get her medicine from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, in the hospital there was absolutely no cell phone coverage, so I did not hear any news from Shawn for about 5 hours. Excruciating. I finally called our deacon and asked him to pray with me. He offered to take me down to the hospital, but I had a bad feeling that we might miss them. Then my deacon suggested I call the hospital, rather than trying to reach Shawn. How silly I felt for not thinking of that myself. I called and they told me that Laura had just been discharged, so I was really glad that I had not asked our deacon to drive me down!

While they were at the hospital, we went to Wegman's to get Shannon's medicine... and found out that our insurance bumped her off the family plan when she turned 19. This was very upsetting to me. Maybe I will write an upcoming post on health insurance in America. (Here is a brief preview: I despise health insurance companies, everything about them. I believe that they are the main problem with health care in America, they and lawyers with their frivolous but costly and constant malpractice suits. The problem lies not with doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, or even drug companies. The problem lies with insurance companies and lawyers and if we could get rid of them, we could have good healthcare here once more.)

Anyway, we have to pay out of pocket until we meet the deductible anyway, so I just bought the medicine and we will try to work this out later. Everybody tells me that college students are covered, as long as they are full-time students, until age 23. So we'll research that tomorrow. Or Wednesday, perhaps.

Laura, during her hospital ordeal, had a CT scan that revealed a mild concussion, no bleeding on the brain, and a small cyst in a different location of her brain which they said was benign and, "Nothing to worry about; she was probably born with it and it grew with her but will not grow any more. These cysts, if they are going to cause a problem, do so earlier in life than this." Does it mean that I'm a bad mother that I do not wish to hear or to know about this? I just want to put my fingers in my ears and sing "Nah nah-nah boo boo."

I am so tired today. I am simply exhausted, and I have a headache. Surely I will feel better in a day or so. I am so thankful that it is the Sabbath today and I can take a guilt-free nap and not fuss about whether the laundry is done, or the vacuuming or the bathrooms. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.

Praise Jesus that God rested on the seventh day. Praise Jesus that He expects us to do the same.

Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God... For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Exodus 20:8-10a, 11


Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
Psalm 119:129

No comments: