Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thankful

Shannon worked it out for me so I could see the eye doctor at 8 a.m. this morning.  She took Laura to her test, and she arranged a ride for herself to college with a friend.  She went in over an hour earlier than she needed to be there, just to help me out.  I am very thankful to Shannon.

The eye doctor pronounced my retinas healthy.  He doesn't know what is causing my pain, but that's no big deal.  I can deal with pain.  I'm getting pretty used to it.  As long as I don't fear that my inner eyes are shredding into blindness, I'll be fine.  I am thankful to have healthy retinas.  (Although, you always feel like you wasted money when you finally break down and go to the doctor, and then you find out you're OK anyway.  But it can't be helped.  And really, it is better than finding out there's a serious problem.  I am thankful.)

Shawn called this afternoon, and the customer he was going to visit in Atlanta, Georgia tomorrow just called and cancelled.  So he will be flying home early.  Now, I know he spent a lot of time getting ready for the meeting with this customer, and I know that there was a potential to make a lot of money.  But I can't help being thankful that he is coming home early.

I was able to make a lasagne today.  This was significant, because when I got home from the eye doctor my eyes were totally malfunctioning from the drops they used.  I was very, very thankful that the office is so close to my home, because I don't know how I'd have driven home otherwise.  I arrived home unable to see anything smaller than about three inches.  I couldn't read the note Shannon had left for me on the table, or the numbers on the phone or the names on the caller ID.  I went to bed for an hour and a half, covering my head with a pillow because my eyes were dilated and couldn't shut out any light and I felt a headache coming on.  I am thankful that my schedule allowed me the luxury of going to bed in such a situation.  I am thankful that my eyes later cleared up enough that I could make lasagne, and even though I had to squint and guess a little, it smells REALLY good.

There is a lot to be thankful for, and I am thankful.

No comments: