Sunday, January 27, 2008

The stitches story



Here is a picture of Shawn's stitches. If you know us in real life, please examine the stitches here and pretend that you do not see them when you see Shawn.


They are getting a little better each day.


In the interest of trying to be fair and unbiased about all this, I will insert as an explanation a portion of an email Shawn sent to someone at his office, explaining why he was not in for work on Friday (which was more due to having been at the ER until 4 a.m. the previous night than to actual pain from the injury).


Here we go:


“I could spin all sorts of stories about my tough wife with the wicked right hook, but the truth of the matter is that I was teasing one of our dogs (the high-strung one) and he bit me on the mouth. I had scared him pretty good—it’s very uncharacteristic of him. I should know better (and I do now!). Anyway, went in to ER at 11:30 and got out at 4 AM. They had several people come in with major traumas from various accidents related to last night’s snow fall. At one point they were trying to save a guy who had wrapped his car around a telephone pole and wasn’t wearing a seat belt. He bled out 5 units of blood before they could get him into OR and sounds like his head was a mess as well. Never been so close to that kind of action before. I have to say I am very impressed with the staff at University/Upstate ER.

“They finally got to me with my little cut on the lip and gave me 5 or 6 stitches and sent me home. I didn’t need any units of blood. I just don’t look the prettiest right now. I have put my modeling career on hold for the time being.”

So there you have it. It is all explained. Please do not advise me to put my dog to sleep. I will be talking to the vet about it tomorrow morning, and I do not want all kinds of extra advice, even though I am sure that it is all well meant.


Also, a word about wifely submission. I was very bossy the night of the accident. I told Shawn that he had to go to the ER and get stitches. I believe that I may have even told him that I would not love his face anymore if he refused to have the gaping wound stitched up. I told him that he had better get out of his bloody clothes, and fast, so I could clean them up. I told him I was driving to the ER. I told him quite a number of things, and then I stopped talking altogether and just did what I thought needed to be done. I hope I did the right thing. I did not mean to be unsubmissive, but don't you think there are times...?

No comments: