Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My eye

My eye is frightening me. I'm not going to lie.

I've been having a lot of pain in my left eye, which changes based on whether I am looking up or down. Looking down is more comfortable. Looking up and even lying on my back is painful. I still see the jagged dark shape floating around, but less often, I think.

I finally tried to make an appointment with an opthomologist. The one that was recommended to me is not seeing new patients until April. The lady on the phone asked whether I could wait. When I described my symptoms to her, she put me on hold for a long time and then came back and told me that I need to be seen this week, and that I need to find a doctor who can fit me in.

I called the doctor she recommended, and they can get me in--tomorrow at 8 a.m. Only. Then the doctor is going on vacation. Tomorrow I have to get Jon on the bus at 7:35, Laura to a Regents exam that runs from 8 to 11:15, and Shannon to S.U. by 10:20. I can get the other kids to help with everything but driving Shannon to S.U. If she had a parking pass, she could drive herself. But she doesn't have a parking pass. The reason she could drive herself is because Shawn is in Florida on business right now and we have his car. DJ is willing to drive her to S.U. but I am not confident in having him drive home all alone, as he has very limited experience driving down there.

So I don't know whether to call and cancel the 8:00 appointment in the morning or try to go. What if they put drops in my eyes that dilate them so I can't drive myself afterwards? What if I get a migraine (a very real possibility)? What if they give me devastating news and Shawn is a thousand miles away?

I don't know what to do. I just don't know what to do. It's times like this when I really wish I lived near family.

It gives the term myopic a whole new meaning, doesn't it?

No comments: