Monday, November 27, 2017

Thankful that joy comes in the morning.



It is morning, and the sun is shining.

We got a new deck.  Our old deck was built with a lip around the edge of it, a lip that caught all the debris from our trees and hindered me when I tried to sweep.  My sweet son-in-law was frustrated for me every time he looked at it.  "Who would design a deck that way?" he would ask, expressing my exact thoughts.  I appreciated his sympathy.  Our new deck has clear space beneath the bottom of the railings.

The sun shines bright on the new deck, casting sharp lines of light that cross the lines of deck boards, creating a checkered effect.

In contrast to the bright, shining, morning sun, my life carries a dark heaviness these days.  Things I cannot talk about well up in my heart.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest, Jesus says.

The Lord told Jeremiah, "I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish."  And Jeremiah awoke and looked, and his sleep was pleasant to him.

When everything seems to be going wrong, I think of the disciples during the crucifixion.  Everything certainly seemed to be going wrong that day, all their hopes and dreams turned awry at a bloody, violent cross.  Yet, this was exactly God's perfect plan.  This was the victorious battle where God vanquished evil and death for all time.

I think of a sermon I once heard, where the pastor kept saying, "It's Friday night, but Sunday morning's coming..."

Jesus rose from death, alive and triumphant.

He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also along with Him graciously give us all things?

He has done this.  He has won this victory.  He will certainly see that the blood is applied to us, we who need His salvation so desperately.  He will bring us home.

Resurrection morning.

It will be okay.

For His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime: weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.  (Psalm 30:5)

Rejoicing comes in the morning.

Praise God that joy comes in the morning.  I am thankful.  I struggle with the long, dark wait, but I am thankful for the hope of promised rejoicing in the morning.  May He, Himself, my faithful God, hold my faith intact through the night.  I am thankful that I can entrust this to Him, the One who is able.  I am thankful that He is able.

In You, O Lord, I have taken refuge.
Let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in Your righteousness.

Turn Your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.

Since you are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of Your Name lead and guide me.
Free me from the trap that is set for me,
for You are my refuge.

Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O Lord, the God of Truth.
(Psalm 31:1-5)


Give me a sign of Your goodness,
that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
for You, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.
(Psalm 86:17)





No comments: