Saturday, January 4, 2014

January Challenge

-->
I joined a challenge to write 500 words a day, every day in January.

Except, of course, I already messed it up: first by joining late in the day on January 3, and then by starting on January 4.  So I am already 1500 words behind.

Also, there is no way I am going to be writing on Sundays, because that just feels like Sabbath desecration to me… unless I write exclusively on Seeking Wisdom Craving Grace on Sundays.  Maybe that would be ok.  I will consider it.

However, I think the point of the challenge is to develop a life habit of daily writing.  And if that’s the point, and if the hope is that I will continue to write 500 words per day after January has passed, then I think it is not imprudent to pare the goal back to writing 500 words per day on 5-6 days per week.  (That last sentence was really bad, but I like it that way.)   I think I could do 5-6 days a week indefinitely.  Maybe.

Why am I doing this?

Because I have nothing else to do. 

Well, I have lots and lots of cleaning and organizing that I could do.  I used to not write because I never felt I deserved to write, what with all the cleaning and organizing I needed to get done.  But guess what?  The cleaning and organizing never got done anyway.  I just didn’t clean, organize or write.

So I am giving myself grace to write, whether I have the right or not, for a month, and I will see what happens.

Maybe daily writing will give shape to my day, hone my craft, and help me finally (after 6 years) to find an audience for my blog.

Or maybe life will continue as it has, except I will have many more words on record.

(the rest of my 500 words, plus a few more, are on Seeking Wisdom Craving Grace)

No comments: