Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Memory Lane, furtively

This morning I got to watch the adorable four-year-old daughter of one of my friends.

She came over to visit while her mother helped with her older brother's Valentine party at school.

We got out the old toys and the old games, and I had so much fun.

I hope she did, too.

I guess I just love playing with toys. And I don't get much of a chance to do so anymore. So today was a riot.

The crowning glory was a tea party. I got out Lulu's old tea set and washed it up, then stocked it with chocolate milk, Honey Comb cereal, Cocoa Rice Krispies and sliced banana.

The Adorable went to town, busily mixing, pouring, stirring, pouring, sipping and pouring. She really enjoyed pouring, especially after she realized that paper towels are very absorbent and ladies who are mothers of grown-ups are very calm about using them.

"Would you like a cup?" she asked graciously, pouring, peering up under thick black eyelashes.

"Thank you," I said.

We sipped and nibbled. She stuck a sticky finger into the sugar bowl which was filled with Cocoa Rice Krispies, then luxuriously ran it through her mouth, catching the krispies on her tongue.

"I think," she said, "it will be better if we don't tell my mom that you gave me all this unhealthy food."

"Oh?" I said, "I think we probably should tell her that we had a tea party."

"It will be all right," she eyed me conspiratorially. "Sometimes when I am at my Bamma's, she gives me treats like these, and we just don't say anything."

No comments: