Thursday, February 28, 2019

Pondering humility once again



Humility is selflessness, self-forgetfulness.

This is well nigh impossible.

When you are trying not to think about something, intentionally trying not to think about it, it is impossible not to think about it.

The harder I focus on not thinking about myself, the more I think about myself.  Yet, to become humble, I must forget about myself.

Since that is impossible, I must try to do the next best thing, which is to concentrate on something else.  In the case of humility, I need to focus concentration and attention on the glory of God and the interests of others.  Which is also incredibly hard.

Here is another thing:  Humility is not being a doormat, and letting others take advantage of you.  In the same vein, humility is not simply shutting down and avoiding conflict by withdrawing.  Being passive, limp, withdrawn and conflict-avoidant are not humble because they are self-protective mechanisms.  Beyond that, these types of behaviors and responses are not in the best interests of others, because they often enable others to behave in a manner that is destructive to themselves as well as those around them.  Indulging the sins of others is not humility.  A humble person does not stand by while his brother misses the mark and simply shrug and say, "You do you."

A truly humble person enters into the mess, and confronts problems in order to find beneficial solutions that multiply peace for all concerned.  It sounds good, but it is incredibly hard, because how does a person muster the wisdom to know when and how to confront in a truly selfless and altruistic manner?  Especially, how does a flawed person in need of grace come to a place of wisdom and confidence in helping others find grace?

Do you see what I wrote there?  "Helping others find grace."  Do you catch the difficulty inherent in that?  Here it is:  Grace is undeserved.  A fallen, undeserving, miserable person receives kindness and blessing.  Grace is, essentially, forgiveness.  And the sticky thing about helping someone receive forgiveness is this:  To receive forgiveness, a person must first acknowledge his need for forgiveness, which means that he must face what he has done wrong and be sorry.  In other words, he must repent.  Nobody wants to repent.  Nobody wants to admit that he has been wrong.  Nobody wants to say, "I'm sorry."

God offers forgiveness to all who will come to Him, but nobody actually receives this forgiveness without confessing sin and repenting of it (1 John 1:9).

There have been instances in my life where I have mentioned that someone needs Jesus, and the person with whom I was speaking defensively countered me with the phrase, "We all need Jesus!"  Of course this is true, but there is a marked difference between needing something that you have, and needing something that you don't have.  For instance, I need food, clothing, and shelter.  I have a house, a closet full of clothes, and a refrigerator full of food.  I need them, and I have them.  The same is true of Jesus.  I need Him, and I have Him.  I know Him and I read His Word.  His Holy Spirit lives in me.  I am far from perfect.  I am nowhere near fully sanctified.  But I have Jesus in my life, and He makes a big difference.  I know where to go for help.  When I remark that someone else needs Jesus, what I mean is that the person has not yet laid hold of the grace, forgiveness and help that Jesus holds out for him.

And yet, people are so prone to be angry and defensive whenever they are confronted with the fact that they have a need.  No one wants to be found lacking.  This is a shame, because in the paradox of the gospel, it is only when we come to Jesus with our emptiness that He fills and fulfills us.  It is only when we confess our sin that He bestows His righteousness on us.

How?  How do we humbly help those around us find the love of Christ?

Who is sufficient for these things? 
( from 2 Corinthians 2:16)


Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, 
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, 
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall receive mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, 
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, 
for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Matthew 5:2-10)


No comments: