Friday, January 31, 2014

Kitchen Project. Day 9.

Oh wait.

Yes.  It was Day 9... in the same respect that tomorrow (Saturday) will be Day 10 and Sunday will be Day 11.  Meaning: nobody came to work today.  Lots of pipes are bursting in and around central Illinois, creating lots of emergencies to draw constructions workers in many directions.

Of course, this means that we are another day behind schedule, which prolongs the agony, but at the same time it mitigates the agony.

If they had come to work today, they would have put the sheathing down on the floor, the whole floor, including the laundry room floor.  And to do that, they would have taken my washer and dryer out of the laundry room.  Right before the weekend.  Right after the electricians got insulation on everything in my closet, and my insulation-contaminated pajamas made it into my bed, also contaminating my sheets.

In other words, it will be very nice to be able to do laundry this weekend.

Also, Shawn came home and vacuumed like a champion last night, and... his vacuuming has stood firm!  Tomorrow, we can start from where he left off, rather than starting all over.

I am also happy because I was able to leave the house today, which felt even better than I expected.  It was tremendous.  I'd not realized how wearing it is to hunker upstairs during the construction process, sheltering two insecure and traumatized little dogs.  During the work hours I don't clean, because that would be like trying to staunch Niagara Falls with a bath towel.  I can't do laundry, because I'd get in their way.  I can't cook, because obviously.  After I shower and make my bed, there isn't much to do besides write, read a library book, peruse Facebook, and occasionally duck outside with the dogs (as quickly as possible when the temperature is below zero).

But.

It will be OK.


No comments: