Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Attributes of God--A

For the next 25-26 posts or so, I will be researching the attributes of God and listing them in alphabetical order, with Bible verses to back them up.

A dear friend of mine told me once that at night when she lays her head down on her pillow, she goes through the attributes of God alphabetically. I tried doing this and found that it is a blessed way to fall asleep.

Obviously, these posts will not cover all the attributes of God. However, I will try to find an attribute (or more than one) for each letter of the alphabet, except perhaps "x" because I am not trying to be ridiculous.

I'm going to try to post every day, except for sometimes on the weekends. This will be a new thing.

Here we go...


God is ABLE--God is capable of doing whatever he pleases. God can.

Daniel 3:17
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand.

2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

God is ALMIGHTY--God has the power and the might to fulfill his purposes and his will. Nothing is impossible for him (Luke 1:37).

Isaiah 47:4
Our Redeemer—the LORD Almighty is his name— is the Holy One of Israel.

Psalm 80:19
Restore us, LORD God Almighty; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved.

Genesis 17:1
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty ; walk before me faithfully and be blameless."

God is AWESOME--Awe is a type of fear. It's not a fear of something evil or violent, but a fear of something huge and overwhelming. For me, a sense of awe comes to mind when I imagine the feeling of weakness I would get in my stomach and my limbs if I were about to skydive out of an airplane, the feeling I would get when they opened the hatch and pushed me forward to look down at the earth so far below. It's the paralyzing faintness I would have, knowing that I was going to have to jump out and pull the cord on my parachute to deploy it. God is awesome and will someday produce those kinds of feelings in all humanity. I felt I needed to explain this, because the word "awesome" has been watered down by vernacular usage over the last couple of decades.

Deuteronomy 7:21
Do not be terrified by them, for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a great and awesome God.

Psalm 47:2
For the LORD Most High is awesome, the great King over all the earth.

Psalm 89:7
In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him.

Next up, B.

No comments: