Thursday, June 30, 2011

Attributes of God--H

Yesterday we had no internet connection all day. It was a blessing, for the most part.

Today I am back at it, and we will continue our series of looking at attributes of God, alphabetically. Yesterday I had a headache in the afternoon. It wasn't the wisest thing I've ever done, but I brewed a pot of strong coffee and made myself a mocha latte with half and half, sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup. It cured the headache, but revved me up more than I care to be revved.

At bedtime, my mind was still active. But I lay down in my bed and started going over the attributes of God, musing over what we have looked at thus far. God smiled on me, and before I finished thinking, I had fallen into a peaceful sleep. I woke up conscious of how great God is, too. I pray that if anyone reads these posts during this series, you will be blessed as I have been.

God is HOLY--He is pure, sacred and set apart from common, earthly things. Holiness is related to perfect purity and the absence of the influence of sin. It is a hard concept to grasp, and one of the attributes of God that is most godly, most divine. Yet, amazingly, God calls us to share in this attribute as we grow in him through the indwelling power of his Holy Spirit in our hearts and lives.

Exodus 3:5
“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.”

Leviticus 19:2
“Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.'"

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God."

Psalm 47:8
God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.

Psalm 77:13
Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God?

Psalm 99:5
Exalt the LORD our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy.

Isaiah 6:1-4
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:
Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

Isaiah 48:17
This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."

Isaiah 54:5
For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

1 Peter 1:15-16
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

Revelation 4:8
Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: “‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.

Next up, I.

No comments: