Sunday, May 11, 2008

The worst thing about Mother's Day

The worst thing about Mother's Day is how everybody gets so hyper-sentimental about how wonderful a mother is--how she was ALWAYS there and NEVER complained, worked TIRELESSLY to keep her home IMMACULATE while always maintaining a GENTLE and LOVING attitude with her children and her husband... while holding down three part time jobs and serving delicious, nutritious homemade cookies to all the children in the neighborhood.

It just makes me feel like a pea.

I would like to enjoy breakfast in bed, smiling faces, homemade cards, you know...

But I feel so all-fired guilty about all the things I'm NOT.

If I get one more mushy email about how wonderful mothers are, I think I'm going to... I'm going to... well, I WILL delete it. Yep. That's what I'll do.

Because I complain. I nag. I threaten. And I get PMS. I don't like to share our homemade cookies with the neighbor children, and anyway, I don't make the cookies anyway, Shannon and Laura do. I eat the cookies and cakes and muffins that my daughters make. I do this on a regular basis.

So you see, I don't even DESERVE Mother's Day.

But I do love breakfast in bed. If I didn't have all this GUILT, Mother's Day would be my favorite day of the year.

1 comment:

Ruth MacC said...

Ha ha, that's a funny post! Am sure your kids don't see one tenth of your faults!
Ruth