Monday, July 8, 2019

God: always good, always loving



Today I found this quote from John Piper on Instagram:

Even though God is displeased when His people sin,
He never looks on us with contempt.
He's always for us, never against us.     ~John Piper

This is balm to my soul.

I live in fear of doing things wrong and being punished.  This is a fairly constant fear.

When I stop and think about it, I know it is not right; it is from the enemy.

Jesus did not come to condemn the world.  He came to save the world, in love and mercy, because He knew we were trapped in sin, in desperate need of rescue.  (John 3:17)

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.  For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.                    ~1 John 4:18

What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can stand against us?     ~Romans 8:31

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.  What can man do to me?          ~Psalm 118:6

Right now, Shawn and I are heading into some big transitions, big adventures, big undertakings, big jobs.  My body is weary and my heart is timid.  I have a morbid dread of walking outside the will of God and being crushed.

But God is not a God who crushes those who desire to follow Him.  God loves His children and works all things for our good, to form us into the image of Christ and beautify our souls.

God is love.  God is good.  God is merciful, compassionate and gracious.  He does not treat us as our sins deserve; rather, He remembers we are dust and shows compassion to those who fear Him (Psalm 103).

He will never leave me nor forsake me.  Jesus is with me.  He did not leave us as orphans, but came, through His Spirit, to indwell us and fill us, to live in us and empower us.

The Spirit of Jesus lives in me.  Christ in me, my hope of glory (Colossians 1:27).

A couple of days ago, I heard Ann Voskamp say, "God is always good, and I am always loved."  I need to keep things as clear as possible in regard to where the love originates, and I am partial to the active voice, so I am editing this statement, and keeping it close to my heart:  God is always good, and He always loves me.

God is always good, and He always loves me.

This truth is medicine from the leaves of the tree of life, for the healing of souls.

But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.     ~Romans 5:8

He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?     ~Romans 8:32

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, by which He has granted to us His precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.     ~2 Peter 1:3-4


The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?   ~Psalm 27:1





1 comment:

Shawn said...

And remember His constant love for us, enacted before the foundation of the world was laid. I see these phrases in Eph. 1:
"...He chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless."
"In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons [and daughters] through Jesus Christ..."
"In him we have redemption through his blood..."
"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will [Thy will be done] in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory."
(the "old" NIV)