Wednesday, January 23, 2019

My Favorite Coleslaw

I want to write about all sorts of things that are rolling around in my head:

...forgiveness, my revulsion at "Jesus and Coffee" merchandise (or is it "Coffee and Jesus"?--even worse, if possible), how the necessity of an absolute standard of goodness proves the existence of God, tasting and seeing that the Lord is good--like Brussels sprouts and roasted asparagus, not like rainbow colored candies...

For now, I'll just be thankful to have thoughts again, finally.  Someday I might have a chance to codify them.

I discovered this salad over the past month or so.  It is crunchy, juicy, refreshing and satisfying.  I've been meaning to get the recipe down for posterity, but I always seem to eat it up too quickly to get a photograph, and that puts me off.  I think I could literally eat the whole recipe in one shot, although it would surely make me sick if I did.



Cranberry Orange Coleslaw


  • 1 bag coleslaw mix or angel hair shredded cabbage
  • 1 can mandarin oranges
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup salted and roasted sunflower kernels
  • honey mustard salad dressing (approximately 1/4 - 1/3 cup)
  • bleu cheese crumbles (about 3-4 tablespoons)


Use a large bowl.  Drain most of the juice off the mandarin oranges, but leave them moist and juicy (it will help the honey mustard dressing spread through the salad).  Mix all ingredients together.  Serve immediately, or chill and serve later.

I first made this without the bleu cheese crumbles.  It was very tasty, but a bit juvenile.  The bleu cheese adds a depth and contrast that is magically delicious (to quote an old breakfast cereal ad, but really, it is).



No comments: