Saturday, April 28, 2018

Fire

(a picture from a different April--April 2009, in Liverpool, NY)

My son's apartment building experienced a major fire yesterday.  The fire was on the third floor in the northwest corner of the building.  My son lives on the first floor, in the southeast corner of the building.

The building was evacuated, and there were no injuries.

The fire started at about 6 p.m. and it took firefighters over two hours to put out the flames.  The building was built around a central atrium, and the atrium roof caved in.

My son was working a 3-11 shift at work, so he just heard about it from afar.  He called us.  We were out running errands, so we tried to drive by and see what was happening, but the roads were all blocked off, and all we could see was emergency vehicles and flashing lights in the distance.

Although there was no fire damage to his section of the building, there was extreme water damage all over the first floor.

As far as I am aware, nobody has been allowed back into the building to see what happened to their possessions.  Because my son was at work, and not evacuated during the fire, he has his wallet and his phone, which is more than a lot of the people.

The building never seemed studious, but the news reported that a lot of students lived there.  I feel bad for them, having this happen right before finals.  They would not have been the privileged students.

My son went home with a friend from work, after work.  He sent me a text at about 12:30 a.m. to let me know that he was in a safe place.

I am thankful that he was not injured in this incident.

I look to God as I wonder what will come next.  Faith is thanking God in advance for what He will do, trusting His goodness and perfect wisdom.  I entrust this to my precious Lord Jesus.

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear 
though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved 
into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

There is a river whose streams 
make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
He utters His voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Come behold the works of the Lord,
how He has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
He burns the chariots with fire.

Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Selah.

Psalm 46

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Jonathan was not harmed by the fire and will be praying for him and his parents for the days ahead.

Priscilla said...

Glad he is okay.