Friday, May 23, 2014

Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins

A lot has been happening.

Lu graduated from college.

We moved Jon and Lu out of their college dorms and drove them 8 hours home.

Lu and I stopped in Ohio on the way home so she could interview for a job.

And yesterday, DJ turned 23, his first birthday away from home.  His friends provided him with steak and pie, which makes me feel better.

Over the course of graduation, moving and job interviews, we were traveling a lot.  It was hard to eat gluten free, so I didn't.  Now I have pain.  There is a very real connection here.

Motivated to get back on the gluten-free wagon, I adapted my Pumpkin Muffin recipe this morning, and it was good.  Dense and moist, but very good.  I ate two.

Let me pre-empt this with a disclaimer.  There is sugar in this recipe.  Half a cup.  You could use organic cane sugar if you wished; personally, I think sugar is sugar and--in moderation--it isn't that big a deal.  But I do realize that gluten is a big deal for me, and sugar is a big deal for some people.  So there is that, and I apologize, but this recipe does contain sugar.








Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins

1/2 cup milk (almond milk if you're allergic)
1/4 cup oil (I used grapeseed, because that is what I had)
1 cup pumpkin (cooked and smashed, canned is fine)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp clove
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup oats (quick cooking oatmeal flakes)

Mix together and set aside.

Sift together:

1/3 cup coconut flour (this really does need sifting)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a muffin tine with 12 paper liners.  Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir well.  Divide evenly between the 12 tins.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  Makes 12.  Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: