Friday, May 26, 2017

Thankful for things I often take for granted



This morning I was rinsing some blueberries to put into my oatmeal, and it occurred to me: What a miracle that God has created so many beautiful, delicious things for us to eat!

Blueberries, walnuts, maple syrup, oats and milk.  That was my breakfast bowl.

Who would have imagined that God would create such a delightful variety of tasty things for us to feast upon?

Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries.  Watermelon!  Avocados and asparagus.  Pecans and pistachios.  Olives, peppers, mushrooms, artichokes and capers.  Sweet, tender young peas.  Mangos, cucumbers, sweet potatoes and parsnips.  Tomatoes, green beans, corn on the cob.  Apples and bananas!  Walnuts, cinnamon, honey and grapes.  Even coffee and tea!

Have you ever considered this?

Why should there be so many lovely kinds of food to nourish us?  Except that God created them for us?  Because He loves us and pours out grace on us.

This is why we should give thanks before we eat.  Because it is a miracle that God has provided all that He has and does.

This morning I was reminded of the importance of being thankful for each sweet moment of life, each glance out the window at leaves dappled with sunlight, each time my small furry dog climbs surreptitiously into my lap for a snuggle, each time my husband and I instinctively reach out to hold hands as we walk up the path in the park, surrounded by trees, fields and blue sky.  Each sweet moment.

I must be thankful for the now, for today, for this good hour when there is food in the refrigerator, the appliances work, the roof doesn't leak, jobs seem relatively secure, and there has been no new diagnosis of disease.

Thankful for a kiss, a berry, a sunrise and a beating heart.



No comments: