Thursday, December 17, 2015

Regaining peace



So.

It is the 17th of December, and a few things are happening that threaten to steal my peace.

I find myself praying frantically, heart pounding, stomach churning.  I pray.  I read my Bible.  I try to breathe.  I pray some more.

And then I remember that it is not about my prayers.  It is about the hand of God.

My prayers do not direct the outcome of God's will.  God will accomplish His purposes.  Period.

My prayers do not wake up a sleepy God who has forgotten to pay attention.  The Father above does not slumber nor sleep.  He is always watching, always working, always attentive to the plight of His people.

My prayers, in and of themselves, have no power.  It is the God to whom I pray who has power.

My prayers remind me that God is God, my loving, attentive, almighty heavenly Father.

God cares.

God has a purpose and a plan, and He cannot be thwarted.

God is merciful, loving and kind.

God is always present, everywhere.

God never worries, for He directs the doings of the Universe with sovereign control.

God knows the end of the story, even though I do not.

God's love never fails.  Unfailing love, the Bible calls it, over and over again.

If you look at the problem, it will always seem too big to handle, too frightening to face.

But God is the solution, and He will never fail.  So look at God; keep your eyes on Jesus.

but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
~from Isaiah 40:31 (niv)


You will keep in perfect peace
    those whose minds are steadfast,
    because they trust in you.~Isaiah 26:3 (niv)

May your unfailing love be with us, Lord,
    even as we put our hope in you.
~Psalm 33:22 (niv)

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.
~from Romans 16:20 (niv)  

We can pray, and then we can rest in the Lord.  He hears our prayers, but do you know what?  He has ideas that are far better than our ideas.  He knows what to do.  He never makes a mistake.  He cares for us.  He is good.  He is on our side.  He is mighty in battle, and always victorious.

He has this.  He will not fail.  He Himself is our peace.

He is where I regain my peace. 

But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord
    both now and forevermore.
~Psalm 131:2-3 (niv) 

(I may need to come back and read this to myself a number of times.) 


2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I haven't been here in awhile. I am blessed by your reminders about what prayer is and isn't. And...who God is. Merry Christmas!

Ruthie said...

Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too! And Happy New Year!