Monday, July 20, 2015

Chastening

I did not have a good weekend.

I could make a list of all the things have gone wrong in the last few days, and it might even be a little bit humorous.  However, I am going to restrain myself, because other people have real problems.  I pretty much only have attitude problems, except for an occasional exception.

Also, I'm reading Martin Lloyd Jones' book, Spiritual Depression: its causes and its cure.  I had put it away awhile ago and just recently got it out again.  My current chapter is "Chastisement."  Yep.  I guess that might be why I had put it away for awhile.  I guess I didn't want to read about being chastised until I was smack in the middle of being chastised, at which point I guess have less to lose.

To top it off, my phone isn't working, which has spun me into a mild panic attack.

I am thankful that prayer doesn't depend on what kind of reception my cellphone is getting.  God is always near, always watching over me, always listening for my prayers.

This is true even when He is chastising me.

Whom the Lord loveth, He chasteneth.

Sigh.  I am supposed to be thankful for that.

I am thankful to be loved, but I do not enjoy being chastened.  Which makes me think of the old saying, "The beatings will continue until morale improves."  God is not like that, but there are days when I could forget and despair.

The irony?  One of the premises in the Martin Lloyd Jones book is that we Christians are a poor reflection of our beautiful Savior when we get down in the dumps.

Jesus, could I please just not continue to fail in my attitude?

Bring Joy to Your servant,
for to You, O Lord,
I lift up my soul.
~Psalm 86:4

No comments: