Monday, February 23, 2015

Dog love

This month, I have not kept up with my goal to write five days a week.

When you miss a goal, especially when you miss one spectacularly, you can get down on yourself.  At least, I can. 

It's not just the blog.  The blog doesn't really matter.  A few different things have piled up discouragement on me lately, sucked the stuffing out of me.

And you know?  I think this is why God gave us dogs.

Dogs love you no matter what.  Dogs are always happy to see you when you come home, always at the ready with a wagging tail and as many sloppy kisses as you might be willing to receive.

Dogs love you when you take them for a walk, when you feed them breakfast, and especially when you carry the fuzzy blanket over to the sofa to settle down with a book.  You are their favorite, and they want to be as near to you as possible, as often as possible.

Dogs forgive you when you trip over them, when you bathe them and get water in their eyes, and when you ignore them because you are having a bad day.  They never bear grudges.  If they misbehave and you have to do something about it, they are the picture of humble repentance, never spiteful or vindictive.

I think God gave us dogs to model unconditional love and forgiveness.






No comments: