Saturday, January 4, 2020

Abide



I think the word of the year is going to be abide.  It just keeps coming back to me.

Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  ~John 15:4

I love the way this abiding is a "both-and" endeavor.  Yes, I abide in Christ.  But He also abides in me.  His abiding in me enables my abiding in Him.  Our part of abiding is asking for His presence.  His part is constantly bestowing His presence, even before we ask.

I have written before, and I reiterate now, that I think abiding in Christ is synonymous with being filled with the Holy Spirit.  This is a mystery, because He never leaves us nor forsakes us, and yet, we need to ask regularly to be filled with His Spirit, even though He never leaves us.

Dear Lord Jesus, please abide in me.  Fill me with the peace and the power of Your holy presence in my body, in my life.  Let me see the fruit of Your work growing out of my life and nourishing those around me.  May the Word of Christ dwell in me richly, and give me Your compassion for others.  Fill me with Your love and teach me to serve effectively, humbly, divinely, by Your power alone.  
Amen

No comments: