Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Thankful for grace



Today I do not have a naturally thankful heart.  I've had an unwelcome surprise and some technical difficulties with my phone.  No biggies, but you see . . .

These things, though very minor in the scheme of things, make me feel cross.  The worst of it is that then I act cross.  When I act cross and thus sin in my behavior, it begins a downward cycle of discouragement which leads to an increase in general crankiness, which leads to more outright sin, which leads to more discouragement.

Romans 7:21, 24
So I find this law at work: when I want to do good, evil is right there with me . . . What a wretched man I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?

The answer is Jesus.  Romans 7:25 answers the question: I am rescued through Jesus Christ my Lord.

Jesus loves me.

Jesus loves me even when I am miserable and ridiculous.

Jesus has grace for me when I am ugly and rotten, and nobody else wants to love me.

Jesus will never leave me nor forsake me, no matter how many  times I stumble.

As long as I confess my sins, He is faithful and will forgive me and cleanse me.  Cleanse me!

These are Jesus' promises.

I am thankful for Jesus, for His faithfulness, His promises, His forgiveness and His grace.

He's working on me, forming me through His grace into someone who will someday bring Him glory and praise with a radiant face.

I am thankful for grace, because it's the thing that leads me to repent and try again.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Isn't His love for us amazing?