Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Scriptures that expose the devil's lies, part 3

This is the fourth in a series of posts about the deceptive techniques of the devil.  He routinely lies, deceiving people in order to lead them away from the Lord.  In my first post of this series, I identified 12 common lies which the deceiver tells over and over.  We are working through these lies, and placing the truth of scripture against them to expose them.  I've included links to the other posts at the end of this one.



The scriptures below are all from the NIV unless otherwise noted. 


Devil's lie #7.

You are worthless.

Truth:  You are so valuable to God that Jesus was crucified to buy you back from the devil who temporarily owned you. 

Scripture:
  • Matthew 13:45-46Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
  • Luke 12:7 ~ Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
  • 1 Peter 1:18-19 ~ For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
  • Revelation 5:9 ~ And they sang a new song, saying:
    “You are worthy to take the scroll
        and to open its seals,
    because You were slain,
        and with Your blood You purchased for God
        persons from every tribe and language and people and nation."

Devil's lie #8.

You are hopeless.

Truth: All things are possible for God.   Nothing is ever hopeless.  God has infinite power to restore and renew.  God has infinite grace to to pour out on you in forgiveness in response to repentance.  There is hope. 

Scripture:
  • Psalm 42:5 ~ Why, my soul, are you downcast?
        Why so disturbed within me?
    Put your hope in God,
        for I will yet praise him,
        my Savior and my God.
  • Psalm 103:1-5 ~ Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
  • Isaiah 57:18-19 ~ "I have seen their ways, but I will heal them;  I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners, creating praise on their lips.  Peace, peace, to those far and near,” says the Lord. “And I will heal them.”
  • Matthew 19:26 ~ Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
  • Romans 5:8 ~ But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
  • Romans 15:13 ~ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. 

Devil's lie #9.

It's too late.

Truth: Although there will be a point when it will be too late, it is not too late as long as you have life and breath.  Ask Jesus to heal everything that is amiss in you today, while you can.  If you can consider it, it is not too late .

Scripture:
  • Psalm 25:7 ~ Do not remember the sins of my youth
        and my rebellious ways;
    according to your love remember me,
        for you, Lord, are good.
  • Isaiah 55:6-7 ~ Seek the Lord while he may be found;
        call on him while he is near.  Let the wicked forsake their ways
        and the unrighteous their thoughts.
    Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
        and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
  • 1 John 1:9 ~ If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  
  • Luke 23:39-43 ~ One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”  But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?  We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”  Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."  Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”   
  • John 6:37 ~ All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.


Other posts in this series:

The devil's schemes and the God of truth
Scriptures that expose the devil's lies.
Scriptures that expose the devil's lies, part 2.

No comments: