Friday, April 17, 2015

Rhubarb Cobbler (Gluten Free, but only Gluten Free)

I finally have rhubarb!  Real, wonderful, vibrant rhubarb, transplanted from my dad's garden in Minnesota.

For 18 years on Sugar Pine Circle, I was unable to grow rhubarb, even though I paid exorbitant money to buy plants on more than one occasion.  Prior to Sugar Pine, when we lived in North Syracuse, we had rhubarb, but after that we had an 18 year rhubarb drought.

Last spring we went to Minnesota and got rhubarb, and this spring, I can harvest it!

It's gorgeous.



But.  

Sadly, I am now gluten free.  My old rhubarb cake and rhubarb pie recipes are, from now and forevermore, off limits.

So.

I made up a gluten free rhubarb cobbler recipe.  

And . . .

It was good!  

[Disclaimer: this recipe is not sugar free, or dairy free, or egg free, but it is gluten free.]

Unfortunately, I don't have any mouthwatering photos because, well, life.  I do have this photo, though, which, although it is sorely lacking, does portray the beauty of baked fruit bubbling up around the edges of a cobbler.



I will tell you how I made it, mostly because I want to be able to look up the recipe myself again, and this is a good place for me to find it.

Rhubarb Cobbler


  • A bunch of clean, chopped rhubarb, enough to half-fill a glass 9x13 baking pan.  4 cups?  6 cups?  Something like that.
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup tapioca
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix these together in a large bowl and set aside.  You can sub strawberries for part of the rhubarb, if you wish.  It needs to sit with the tapioca for 15 minutes, at least.  More won't hurt anything.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 glass baking dish.


  • 1 and 1/2 cups oats
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar

Process oats in food processor until they are pretty fine.  Process in butter, eggs and sugar.  Remove to a large bowl.  Sift in, from a sifter,


  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Stir together and add:


  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Stir lightly to incorporate, and then add:


  • 1 and 1/4 cup plain kefir (buttermilk would also work)

Stir until mixed--be gentle.  Quickly dump the rhubarb mixture into your greased baking dish and portion the cobbler mixture over the top.  If you wish, sprinkle the top with ground cinnamon and granules of raw sugar.

Bake at 350 for an hour.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: