Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankfulnesses

I am thankful to have all my children at home together. I have been very mindful of this, because of the missing girl, Jenni-Lyn. She lived on the very same street where my children had piano lessons for 14 years. She went to their school. She danced at the studio where Laura took ballet. She graduated between Shannon and DJ. She is gone, but I have my four children, safe and snug in our crazy, loud, messy house. My heart bleeds for her family. I pray they find her. I can't even imagine... she came home from college for Thanksgiving break, and the next morning her parents went to work, and when they got home that night, she was gone. I can't imagine the violent snuffing of the intense joy you feel when your child comes home from college. The newscasters call her a "woman." That offends me. She is a girl, her family's girl, her family's baby. And she is gone. I am so thankful for my four beautiful, safe children. I feel a little bit guilty, but I am thankful.

I am thankful for plentiful good food, and, today, I am especially thankful for leftovers! Food can make you feel guilty, too, when there is so much on one table on one day, and you eat until you can hardly move, and then you realize that there are people who are hungry and cold.

I am thankful for a warm house, my wool winter blanket, even my fake Ugg boots that I got for $7 at WalMart. I like these boots because even though they are cheap, synthetic, and a poor fashion knock-off, they are comfortable and they keep my toes downright toasty.

I am thankful for the internet and the way it enables us to keep in contact with people. I am thankful for phone plans and cell phone plans that include free long distance. I am thankful for old photographs and memories and stories and laughter.

I am thankful for my Bible and the passages I read this morning... a bruised reed He will not break and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out... He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to his heart; He gently leads those that have young...Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I am thankful that I have a Savior who shed His blood for me so that I can live with assurance that He has won the victory over sin and death, and although I may face many trials and hardships in this life, nothing can separate me from the love of Christ. Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.

I am thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noted on national news the item about the New York girl and I'm sure it was Jenni-Lyn. I'm so sorry and shocked as you all must be. Impossible to understand.....I guess that is where faith takes over! ~ Pauline

Ruth said...

Yes. God is sovereign. None of us deserve any better than what Jenni-Lyn suffered. Every blessing we enjoy is grace from the hand of God, and yet we take it for granted every day.

The boy who has been arrested was an acquaintance of my son's, a boy who grew up in a good neighborhood with every advantage. Nobody would have expected such a turn of events. But that is where life goes, apart from the grace of God.