Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chives and honey



These are chives. Lovely things, chives. They come back every year, with absolutely no attention from me.



Chives are edible. When your thirteen-year-old is out playing with friends, he can pull up a few chives and gnaw on them throughout the afternoon. It makes his breath smell like onions, though. You can eat the stem, or the root (which is like a tiny onion). You can even eat the flowers. They are quite striking in a salad!




Chives are pretty and pungent. And I do mean pungent. You would not want to put them in a nosegay... they lack the delicate perfume of roses, lilacs or lilies-of-the-valley.



So... I am really wondering what this bee's honey is going to taste like. Yuck!

1 comment:

Ruth MacC said...

I would like to be able to get close up photos like those. We borrowed a friends camera so maybe I will try it out.