Friday, February 27, 2009

A Friday evening at home

Jonathan is in the basement practicing his trumpet. He is playing "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" with a harmony trumpet mute. If you know that song and you know what a harmony mute sounds like, then you know it is quite the juxtaposition.

Shannon is in bed with a fever. This is her fourth day of fever. Tuesday was the first, and she went to school, not realizing that she had a fever. Wednesday she went to school knowing that she had the fever, and yesterday and today she gave in and stayed home the way she should have from the first.

I had Lu and Jonno to the doctor today for scheduled physicals. The doctor told me that the flu is coming with a five day fever this year, so I guess Shanny has one really bad day left.

Laura fainted in the doctor's office today. It had been quite a few minutes after her shot, and the doctor and I had been discussing Shannon's situation, so when Laura and I went to leave the examining room, I never thought to watch for adverse signs. "Boom!" I heard the noise behind me and turned back to see poor Lu sprawled on the floor. I said, "Oh, Lulu!" thinking she had tripped. She made no response. By the time I realized what had happened, a number of health care professionals were on her, bringing her around, so thanks be to God I didn't panic and freak out. I was so grateful to know that at least she was in good hands with people who knew what they were doing.

She hit her head really hard, and also strained her neck. They told me I have to wake her up in the middle of the night to be sure she is OK. I am a little nervous about this. She is sore, and also her arm is sore from the shot, poor kid.

I'm making steak for Shawn, a late birthday dinner. We were supposed to go out with friends, but he feels like he might be coming down with the flu, too, now.

So... that's my Friday. Timer's dinging for the steak...

No comments: