Monday, January 26, 2009

Home



This is Shannon in the reading chair in front of the fireplace at my parents' home.

I love the way my parents still live in the same house I grew up in, and so many things have not changed.

I read many a book at home in that chair.

One Christmas vacation while I was in college, my brother came home for Christmas from the seminary in Canada where he was teaching New Testament, and he asked me, "Have you read any good books lately?" I was majoring in English, so I handed him Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, which I had recently completed. He sat in that very same chair and read it to the end. Then he looked up, and with uncharacteristic emphasis he said, "That was a terrible book."

Well, it is. Really. It is about social Darwinism, specifically the non-survival of the non-fit. It's depressing and hopeless and bleak.

I think it is totally ironic that the very same liberals who want to tout atheism, denying the existence of God and cramming evolutionary Darwinism down the throat of every public school child they can reach, these exact same people are out to thwart social Darwinism with a welfare state. They are, after all, the Darwinists.

Hmmmm.

It makes about as much sense as believing in evolution (the survival of the fittest) and also "scientifically" arguing for the existence of a homosexual gene. (I do not mean this as a slam on homosexuals--it is just that a gene that is contrary to the support of the reproductive viability of a species would never have evolved. It would have had to be so recessive that it would have receeded into oblivion after BILLIONS and BILLIONS of years.) Personally I believe in neither evolution nor genetic homosexuality. But the fact is, you can't possibly believe in both, not if you have any sense of logic. They are mutually exclusive concepts.

I digress.

Home is a nice place to be. A gift from God. A place of warmth, love, memories and traditions. A place of unconditional acceptance, provision and care. I am thankful for the home I grew up in, and the one I am homemaker of right now.

No comments: